This episode shows how to make a modern industrial LED floor lamp from a reclaimed timber beam and steel, with NO WELDING!Read More
In this video I show how to make a Modustrial-designed DIY “Living Art” LED lamp from plywood and an LED matrix.
The LEDs in the lamp are controlled by an Arduino Nano that creates colorful moving patterns, aka, “living art.” However, it is also very practical for use as a desk lamp, table lamp, or bedside lamp, since an LED push button allows you to switch from the living-art mode to normal white-light modes, and a red-nightlight mode.
I made three versions of this lamp – two out of bamboo plywood, and one out of walnut plywood. You could use any type of plywood you like to build the lamp.
The electronics were designed to be very simple. It can be built with NO SOLDERING.
To see the finished walnut version of the lamp, FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM: https://www.instagram.com/modustrialmaker/ || @modustrialmaker
PARTS FOR THE BUILD:
• 16x16 LED Matrix: http://amzn.to/2BgIcsj
• Arduino Nano: (pre-soldered) http://amzn.to/2H0h6bS
• Arduino Nano Screw Terminal Shield: http://amzn.to/2FZwy6y (pre-soldered)
• 5V Momentary LED push button: http://amzn.to/2CLbu2E OR https://goo.gl/Cn1iDy
• JST Connectors: http://amzn.to/2ALve4j
• Semi-transparent white acrylic sheet: https://goo.gl/YV4X81
• Female Power Jack: http://amzn.to/2H3oN0P (no solder) || http://amzn.to/2ziyuEB (solder)
• Lever-nut Wire Connectors: http://amzn.to/2BhMtvM
• 5V power supply: http://amzn.to/2zgiGSJ
ARDUINO NANO CODE FOR THE LAMP: https://github.com/modustrialmaker/Living_Art_LED_Matrix_Lamp
• My favorite solder: http://amzn.to/2CNgjIF
• Quality Soldering Iron: http://amzn.to/2CKHoMC
• Blue Soldering Mat: http://amzn.to/2DboPCd
OTHER TOOLS I USE:
• Tap Drill Bit (for threaded holes): http://amzn.to/2Fm7V4A
• RZ dust mask: http://amzn.to/2wM8F1t
• Bosch 18V cordless circular saw: http://amzn.to/2wcDgnN
• Bosch 18V cordless Drill & Impact Driver Kit: http://amzn.to/2BCI753
• Dewalt Table Saw w/ 32” Rip Capacity: http://amzn.to/2yQd2Fy
• Japanese Flush Cut Hand Saw: http://amzn.to/2yRa1Fd
• Dewalt 12” Miter Saw: http://amzn.to/2yQRgS6
• Forstner Bits: http://amzn.to/2Bgv863
Chris Gagnon shared a video documenting the build process for a double ring light, which he indicates was inspired by Rings of Saturn light. I think it came out pretty cool - well done Chris!
Here is what Chris said about the project:
And, in case you haven't seen it, check out the original video for my Rings of Saturn light.
The Bluetooth LED speaker build was a passion project for me, so I'm excited to see it getting some positive press.
Check out a great overview of the project on Maker Update's weekly maker news show, where it was the project of the week:
The speaker was also feature on Adafruit's blog and Arduino.cc
I also uploaded a full written Instructable which has more details on the project that weren't in the video.
Lastly, if you haven't watched the video itself yet, what are you waiting for? It is my favorite project yet, so I hope you like it!