I just uploaded a full step-by-step tutorial to Instructables explaining how to make my ported Bluetooth boombox from recycled skateboards. While the tutorial explains the process using the reclaimed skateboard wood, it can be easily adapted to use any kind of wood you have available.Read More
In this video, I show how to make a portable bluetooth boombox from twice recycled skateboard wood. I managed to use every part of the skateboard in this DIY speaker build. The front panel is formed from reclaimed skateboard wood, the handle of the speaker is made from skateboard trucks, and the feet are made from skateboard wheels and bearings.
I used Dayton Audio kit parts for the electronics. It has a 2x50w Bluetooth amp, which is driving two Tang Band 5” W5-2143 full range speaker drivers. It is battery powered, with great battery life, and most importantly, sounds amazing!
A huge shout out to KIRBY MEETS AUDIO for his help in designing the speaker enclosure and selecting the Tang Band drivers. His channel has a wealth of information on speaker design and speaker building, and his video production is top notch. Go subscribe to Kirby Meets Audio if you haven’t already!
KIRBY MEETS AUDIO YOUTUBE CHANNEL: https://goo.gl/8gFxnw
Also, a big thanks to FOCUSED SKATEBOARD WOODWORKS for sending me their offcuts and making this build possible. Check them out!
SPEAKER PARTS USED IN BUILD
• Bluetooth Amplifier Board: https://goo.gl/UgQ4wq
• 5” Full-Range Drivers: https://goo.gl/4WXUtJ
• Battery Charger Board: https://goo.gl/1w3C74
• Li-ion Batteries: https://goo.gl/LUPbzs
• 19V Power Supply: https://goo.gl/t2sZwB
• “L” Brackets for Amp and Battery Boards: https://goo.gl/SQzwwQ
• Cable Kit (on/off. Volume, line input): https://goo.gl/XY6gcy
• 2.5” Ports: https://goo.gl/mQwhL2
TOOLS FOR ELECTRONICS
• My favorite solder: http://amzn.to/2CNgjIF
• Quality Soldering Iron: http://amzn.to/2CKHoMC
• Blue Soldering Mat: http://amzn.to/2DboPCd
• Cordless Nailer: http://amzn.to/2FJIsFW
• Ridgid Cordless Router: http://amzn.to/2pinfZL
• 90 Degree driver / oscillating saw: http://amzn.to/2FHqrbB
• Hole Saw Kit: http://amzn.to/2GztkIw
• RZ dust mask: http://amzn.to/2wM8F1t
• Bosch 18V cordless circular saw: http://amzn.to/2wcDgnN
• Bosch 18V cordless Drill & Impact Driver Kit: http://amzn.to/2BCI753
• Dewalt Table Saw w/ 32” Rip Capacity: http://amzn.to/2yQd2Fy
• Japanese Flush Cut Hand Saw: http://amzn.to/2yRa1Fd
• Dewalt 12” Miter Saw: http://amzn.to/2yQRgS6
• Forstner Bits: http://amzn.to/2Bgv863
FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM: @modustrialmaker || https://goo.gl/3Yqo2m
For those interested in building one of these, here are the calculations for the Tang Band 5" speakers and 2.5" ports. The below shows the enclosure for a single speaker -- for the boombox, you'll have two enclosures; one for each speaker.
The Bluetooth LED speaker build was a passion project for me, so I'm excited to see it getting some positive press.
Check out a great overview of the project on Maker Update's weekly maker news show, where it was the project of the week:
The speaker was also feature on Adafruit's blog and Arduino.cc
I also uploaded a full written Instructable which has more details on the project that weren't in the video.
Lastly, if you haven't watched the video itself yet, what are you waiting for? It is my favorite project yet, so I hope you like it!