In this video, I show how to make a portable bluetooth boombox from twice recycled skateboard wood. I managed to use every part of the skateboard in this DIY speaker build. The front panel is formed from reclaimed skateboard wood, the handle of the speaker is made from skateboard trucks, and the feet are made from skateboard wheels and bearings.
I used Dayton Audio kit parts for the electronics. It has a 2x50w Bluetooth amp, which is driving two Tang Band 5” W5-2143 full range speaker drivers. It is battery powered, with great battery life, and most importantly, sounds amazing!
A huge shout out to KIRBY MEETS AUDIO for his help in designing the speaker enclosure and selecting the Tang Band drivers. His channel has a wealth of information on speaker design and speaker building, and his video production is top notch. Go subscribe to Kirby Meets Audio if you haven’t already!
KIRBY MEETS AUDIO YOUTUBE CHANNEL: https://goo.gl/8gFxnw
Also, a big thanks to FOCUSED SKATEBOARD WOODWORKS for sending me their offcuts and making this build possible. Check them out!
SPEAKER PARTS USED IN BUILD
• Bluetooth Amplifier Board: https://goo.gl/UgQ4wq
• 5” Full-Range Drivers: https://goo.gl/4WXUtJ
• Battery Charger Board: https://goo.gl/1w3C74
• Li-ion Batteries: https://goo.gl/LUPbzs
• 19V Power Supply: https://goo.gl/t2sZwB
• “L” Brackets for Amp and Battery Boards: https://goo.gl/SQzwwQ
• Cable Kit (on/off. Volume, line input): https://goo.gl/XY6gcy
• 2.5” Ports: https://goo.gl/mQwhL2
TOOLS FOR ELECTRONICS
• My favorite solder: http://amzn.to/2CNgjIF
• Quality Soldering Iron: http://amzn.to/2CKHoMC
• Blue Soldering Mat: http://amzn.to/2DboPCd
• Cordless Nailer: http://amzn.to/2FJIsFW
• Ridgid Cordless Router: http://amzn.to/2pinfZL
• 90 Degree driver / oscillating saw: http://amzn.to/2FHqrbB
• Hole Saw Kit: http://amzn.to/2GztkIw
• RZ dust mask: http://amzn.to/2wM8F1t
• Bosch 18V cordless circular saw: http://amzn.to/2wcDgnN
• Bosch 18V cordless Drill & Impact Driver Kit: http://amzn.to/2BCI753
• Dewalt Table Saw w/ 32” Rip Capacity: http://amzn.to/2yQd2Fy
• Japanese Flush Cut Hand Saw: http://amzn.to/2yRa1Fd
• Dewalt 12” Miter Saw: http://amzn.to/2yQRgS6
• Forstner Bits: http://amzn.to/2Bgv863
FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM: @modustrialmaker || https://goo.gl/3Yqo2m
For those interested in building one of these, here are the calculations for the Tang Band 5" speakers and 2.5" ports. The below shows the enclosure for a single speaker -- for the boombox, you'll have two enclosures; one for each speaker.